Using Three Ring as a Homework Tool and Feedback for Parents




Enthusiastically watching the International PE Teach Meet in March, I found myself motivated by Jarrod Robinson's presentation on using Three Ring as an e-portfolio to provide feedback to parents. Being the perfectrionist that I am, I also started thinking about other ways I could use Three Ring. This is when I came up with the idea of using Three Ring as part of the students homework to self assess their performances.

Throuhgout the tennis unit of work I took lots of videos of students performances and recorded feedback students were giving to their peer's in peer assessment tasks. I started using our flip cams to record students work as this enabled me to give students the videos and upload the videos later, but found that the videos did not process on the site properly so it meant that they had to be downloaded before being viewed. I then tried filming with my phone but had the same problem. So I downloadeed the app and filmed from within the app and uploaded directly, which is a much quicker process. Although you have approximately a 10 second pause between uploading one video and being able to start another video, which can be a bit frustrating.

During this unit of work we had a quite well placed parents evening which gave me a brilliant opportunity to discuss with parents about what I would like to do and gain their approval before I uploaded anything onto the website, as I know some parents can be a little funny with things such as this. I then decided to cover my back even further and send a letter our gaining students and parents email addresses, again asking for their permission further to the conversations we had at parents evening, to ensure we had it in writing. Once I had all the email addresses I was able to set homework at the end of the tennis unit using a pre-made sheet getting students to self-assess their work to support our assessment process.