Maths in PE Extra Curricular Club Session 3 & 4

I decided to stick with the speed, distance, time triangle and develop it further. This time I made the decision to use the radar gun app for the iPad to measure the speed students were able to bowl a cricket ball over 20m and get the students to work out the time it took for the ball to get there. 

This seemed very simple in principle to me, but it included some difficulties. Firstly, the app measured the speed in km/H, but the distance was measured in meters, so the first obstacle we had to overcome was to convert the distance into km. Once we were had the distance measurements the same we then needed to convert the time measurement from hours down to seconds as it only took a short time for the ball to reach the wicket. It was then we could use the distance, speed and time triangle to get students to work out the time it took for the ball to reach the wicket.

This took the maths teacher and myself a while to work out, so it was not the best of weeks, and it took quite a while to go through this process with each student. If I am going to be honest it was not the most popular as the ratio of the amount of physical activity to maths was heavy on the maths side, this is my opinion prevented our normal pick up of lots of students who watch at first.

Next week unfortunately I have lost the maths teacher to GCSE revision until the maths exam, so I am alone. We are planning to look at batting averages, where students will get six balls bowled to them and we will work out the runs per ball average.