Embedding BLP into my Practice in PE Lessons Part Two



Recently I had decided to strip back my planning to focus on really embedding Building Learning Power into my planning with a real focus on improving student attainment and engagement. After attending a Guy Claxton lecture on BLP, I raised a question on my own practice. By having BLP as an afterthought in my planning was I in actual fact hindering the development of BLP skills in my PE lessons?

I decided to start by taking a long hard look at my group and the sport we were working on, OAA, more specifically a Unit on Orienteering. I looked at the BLP skills I felt would be important for students to develop within the unit of work along that what content I felt was important. I decided that the two areas of BLP I would focus on during this unit of work were Reciprocity and Reflectiveness. The group needed to improve their ability to work together with all members of the group and their ability to look back over what they have done and be able to improve their performance for next time.

By planning what BLP skills I felt were important to improve as a starting point it meant that I was able to adapt the activities we did to help develop these skills. I started off in my first lesson looking at reflectiveness, we started out by looking at the big picture of what we would cover during this unit and what they could take from their previous units of work to be used in orienteering. We then set about planning how we were going to meet the assessment criteria within the unit. We referred back to where they were in relation to their plan at regular intervals throughout the unit. I also gave them explicit planning time at the start of each task.

With reciprocity we looked at the way in which they worked within groups.  They constantly worked with different people so that by the end of the six lessons they had worked with everyone in the class, this helped with the cohesion, there were complaints at the start but they soon got used to it, it helped that it was a boys group.  We also looked at roles within a team that they had to plan who was going to take on that role, and we swapped roles so that throughout the unit all pupils took on a whole range of roles.

Lots of this is just standard practice, but by having BLP as the focus at the start of the planning process it enabled the learning activities to be focused on not only improving students Orienteering skills but also on developing their BLP skills. I found that the group dynamics improved dramatically and students were able to tackle the Orienteering challenges head on in their small groups and were willing to accept challenges.